Profile of Consultant-Radiation Oncologist
- Radiation oncologists treat patients with radiation therapy in an attempt to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors.
- A radiation oncologist, medical oncologist and other medical staff collaborate to determine the specific radiation treatment for a patient.
- They may advise external, internal or systemic radiation treatment. External radiation involves a machine that beams radioactive material, such as X-rays, to the cancer cells.
- Internal radiation is performed by placing radioactive material within the body next to cancer cells.
- Oncologists using systemic therapy inject radioactive material into the bloodstream or administer it orally.
- Radiation oncologists must perform radiation therapy with precision to avoid harming healthy cells within the body.